Vendor Spotlight - Sugar & Spoon Caramels

Meet Anne from Sugar & Spoon Caramels! We can't wait to have her and her delicious caramels with us on Saturday, November 7th.  

"Our story began more than 80 years ago when my Great-Grandma Edith began making caramels one Christmas on a ranch in Lockwood Valley, CA. Little did my great-grandma know, but she was starting a tradition that would be passed down from generation to generation...

I grew up in a family that gathered for every single holiday and life event. We love to cook, we love to eat, and we love to share stories and recipes. Sometimes there would be a recipe that we liked, but with each passing year, we would tweak it here or there to improve upon it. Of course, that never happened with great-grandma's caramel recipe. That recipe is written in stone and unchangeable, even down to her strict instruction that you never make caramels in the rain or bad weather. If you do, you risk ruining their soft smooth texture. I have tried to prove that theory wrong over the last four years, but as it turns out, great-grandma was right!

One of my first clear memories of Christmas is my great-grandma's caramels. It was always a production in our house...going to the store to buy all the ingredients, cutting the wax paper squares, cooking, and then the tedious work of cutting and wrapping. In my earlier years, I did not mind it so much as I was able to eat the corners and smaller pieces. What kid doesn't love that? But then, as I go older, it became "work" and being able to gobble up endless amounts of caramel just didn't cut it anymore. Fast forward 20 years though and it became less about work and more about carrying on a long family tradition.

In 2012, I decided to expand our Christmas tradition into a business. We are a small, family run operation based in Paso Robles and I am proud to say, everything from start to finish is done by hand. I have been overwhelmed by the love and support, not just from locals, but from everyone who has enjoyed my great-grandma's caramels! So here is to my great-grandma Edith, and if she was still here with us, I have no doubt she would be stirring right alongside me. I hope you enjoy her caramels as much as I enjoy sharing them with you!"

RSVP today!

Comments