Italian Girl Problems #65
When you invite friends over for dinner and they think the appetizer is the main course…
- 1-pound of ground beef (80/20 mixture)
- 1-pound mild Italian sausage and of course I highly recommend my families “Papa Cantella's Mild Italian Sausage” (Albertsons)
- 1/2 cup of chopped yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp of warm water for moisture (tips from my Sicilian grandmother)
- Olive oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl combine the beef and sausage.
- Add the egg, cheese, parsley, oregano, garlic, onions, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix and combine.
- Add the breadcrumbs and mix again.
- Slowly add the water and shape into 3-inch balls, using an ice cream scooper!
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm the olive oil. When the oil is hot, fry the meatballs in batches. When the bottom is browned and crisp, turn and cook the top half.
- Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels. Makes about 16.
- Pop them into your mouth to try before smothering them in red sauce and always have the Syrah next to you while cooking.
And don't forget ...
“The secrets in the sausage”!