Vineyard News

Here we are starting fresh on another year in the vineyard, wines from our recent harvest, the harvest that just wouldn’t die, are finally done and the resulting fermentations that lingered into the New Year are finally done (kinda). I vaguely remember saying at one time that there has never been a quote, normal year. We have been farming and making wine for 23 years in Paso Robles and I don’t recall ever experiencing a year someone made the mistake of calling normal. I’ve come to the conclusion that varied is the new normal. What should we expect this year Eric, (mocking tone)? Oh, I don’t know, how about something totally random like a summer in Paso with no heat. What? Oh, that happened last year. Ok, how about a rainy spring, summer and fall. Shozbot! Last year? Man, I don’t know, how about something really crazy like freezing temperatures followed by a screaming heat wave! What, last year? No? Ok, two years ago. Yeah, I guess varied is the new normal. But it’s not totally random, that would be crazy, let’s just call it: somewhat predictably unpredictable variations from normal. Yeah. Now I sound like a weather man and a lot less like a crazy-in-the-melon winemaker.

So, back to why I have dubbed 2010 the year harvest refused to die, or actually start in some cases because the jury is confused on that one. We had a somewhat predictably unpredictable weather event that lasted for a few months last summer. In other words, we had uncharacteristically cool weather for our region last summer with dreaded measurable rain. This translated into later than normal ripening of a lot of fruit in the area, or in some cases, flat out not ripening and never picking. Luckily, by following my own advice, and not hanging too much fruit and not panicking, we pulled it off and brought in all of our Estate fruit. This year, given the cool temps, our acids held and flavors were developed at lower sugar levels, much like wines from other notable regions with cooler temperatures. Do I detect a silver lining? Absolutely, the Paso Robles region lives to see another vintage, happy ending! Funny thing is the ending. Here on the grape ranch, I was so fixated on getting to the ending; I kind of over shot it. I began doing “test picks”. I would worry and deliberate and cross examine myself trying to determine if my motives were correct and I was picking for the right reasons and all that, but not trusting the somewhat predictably unpredictable situation, I would call in my crew and pick just a little bit, just to see, just to test the waters. Well, I ended up being spot on the first time and ended up with a lot of sugar and hang time and good ole Paso style over the top-ness by the time I was done. Heavens to Betsy if I didn’t over do it on the Zinfandel…again. Over the top in a good way, there wasn’t a lot of that going around this year. Thank God for somewhat predictably unpredictable variations from normal! (I include myself proudly in that category as well.) I know you will enjoy.
-eo

Comments